Potato and leek gratin
- 80g butter
- 4 large leeks, white part thinly sliced
- 1.25kg Desiree potatoes, peeled, very thinly sliced
- 450ml pouring cream
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped tarragon leaves
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180ÂºC. Melt 50g butter in a non-stick frying pan over low heat. Add leeks. Cook for 10 minutes or until very soft but not browned. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Step 2 - Grease an 8-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Arrange 1/3 of potatoes over base of dish. Season to taste. Top with 1/2 the leeks and another 1/3 of potatoes, seasoning to taste between layers. Repeat with remaining leek and potato.
- Step 3 - Combine cream, garlic and tarragon in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to just below simmering point. Pour mixture evenly over gratin. Dot top with remaining butter. Bake, covered, for 50 minutes. Remove cover and bake for a further 15 minutes or until golden and tender. Serve with roast beef.