Pear wontons with ice-cream
- You will need a wok and a straining spoon for this recipe.
- 55g (1/3 cup) finely chopped palm sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 (about 400g) beurre bosc pears, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 16 fresh flour wonton wrappers
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- Icing sugar mixture, to dust
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Step 1 - Place the palm sugar, sesame seeds and pear in a wok over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until pear is tender and caramelised. Add lemon juice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until heated through. Transfer pear mixture to a heatproof bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Step 2 - Place 8 wonton wrappers on a clean work surface. Spoon half the pear mixture evenly among the centres of the wonton wrappers. Use a pastry brush to brush the edges of the wonton wrappers with a little water. Pinch the edges together to enclose the filling and form a pouch. Repeat with the remaining wonton wrappers and pear mixture.
- Step 3 - Add enough oil to a clean wok to reach a depth of 10cm. Heat to 180°C over medium heat (when the oil is ready, a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 15 seconds). Use a straining spoon to lower 4 wontons into the hot oil and deep-fry for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Step 4 - Use the straining spoon to transfer the wontons to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with the remaining wontons, reheating oil between batches.
- Step 5 - Dust the wontons with icing sugar and serve immediately with vanilla ice-cream, if desired.