Osso bucco with basil gremolata
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, ends trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 x 4cm-long strips lemon rind, white pith removed (see note)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 8 small pieces (about 120g each) veal osso bucco (shin slices)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 250ml (1 cup) white wine
- 250ml (1 cup) Campbell's Real Stock Chicken Salt Reduced
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- Mashed potato, to serve
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 160°C. Heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 7 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften. Stir in the lemon rind. Transfer the mixture to a 3.5L (14-cup) capacity freezerproof ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the thyme, bay leaves and rosemary.
- Step 2 - Place the flour on a large plate. Season with salt and pepper. Add the veal and turn to coat, shaking off any excess. Heat half the oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add half the veal and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with the remaining oil and veal, reheating the pan between batches. Place the veal on top of the vegetable mixture in the dish.
- Step 3 - Add the wine to the frying pan and cook, scraping the pan with a flat-edged wooden spoon to dislodge any bits that have cooked onto the base, for 1 minute. Add the stock and tomato, and bring to the boil. Pour the tomato mixture over the veal to cover, adding a little extra stock if necessary (the liquid should just cover the veal). Cover with a lid or foil and bake in oven, stirring once, for 2-2 1/2 hours or until the veal is very tender. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest. (To freeze, see notes.)
- Step 4 - To make the basil gremolata, combine the basil and lemon rind in a small bowl.
- Step 5 - Divide the mashed potato and osso bucco among serving plates. Sprinkle with the gremolata to serve