Mixed berry cakes with nougat ice-cream
- 2 litres vanilla ice-cream
- 4 x 75g packets French nougat, finely chopped
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1/3 cup mixed berry ice-cream topping
- Step 1 - Place ice-cream in a large bowl (reserve container). Set ice-cream aside for 10 minutes or until softened. Using a large metal spoon, fold the nougat into the ice-cream until well combined. Spoon ice-cream back into container. Cover with lid. Freeze overnight.
- Step 2 - Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 12-hole, 1/2 cup-capacity muffin pan.
- Step 3 - Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just combined. Stir in half the flours and half the buttermilk until combined. Repeat with remaining flours and buttermilk. Fold in berries. Spoon mixture evenly among prepared pans.
- Step 4 - Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of 1 cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool (see notes, to freeze). Serve cakes warm or cold with nougat ice-cream. Drizzle with topping.