Minted haloumi with roast vegetables
- 2 x 250g packets haloumi cheese
- 1 bunch Dutch carrots, peeled, trimmed
- 150g green beans, trimmed
- 2 small zucchini, thickly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 eggplant, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- crusty bread and lemon wedges, to serve
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, finely chopped
- 400ml milk
- 1/2 lemon, rind finely grated
- Step 1 - Make mint marinade: Combine all ingredients in a ceramic dish.
- Step 2 - Slice each block of haloumi lengthways into 6 pieces. Add haloumi to marinade and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight (see note).
- Step 3 - Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine carrots, beans, zucchini, capsicum, onion, garlic and eggplant in a roasting pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil. Season with pepper. Roast for 20 minutes or until light golden and tender.
- Step 4 - Meanwhile, place flour on a plate. Remove haloumi from marinade, allowing some of the mint to remain on the cheese. Press 1 side of haloumi into flour to coat. Turn over and repeat. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook haloumi, in batches, for 4 minutes on each side or until light golden.
- Step 5 - Serve with roasted vegetables, crusty bread and lemon wedges.