Martha's lemon-ricotta fritters with lemon curd
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 125g butter, chilled, chopped
- Icing sugar mixture, for dusting
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 500g fresh ricotta
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Step 1 - Make Curd: Whisk egg yolks, sugar, lemon rind and juice, and salt in a saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture has thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat. Add butter, stirring until melted. Strain immediately through a sieve into a glass or ceramic bowl. Cover surface of curd with plastic wrap. Stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until cold and thickened.
- Step 2 - Make Fritters: Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat (see note). Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Step 3 - Whisk eggs and caster sugar until just combined. Add ricotta, lemon rind and vanilla. Stir until mixture is smooth and well combined. Add flour mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Step 4 - Drop 1 level tablespoon of dough into hot oil. Repeat 5 more times. Cook, turning occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden all over. Drain on a tray lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining dough. Place fritters on a serving plate. Dust with icing sugar. Serve fritters with lemon curd.