Lemon meringue ice-cream
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) thickened cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 140g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 70g Petite Vanilla Meringues, halved
- 160g (3/4 cup) Yackandandah Lemon Curd
- Step 1 - Chill a 1.25L (5-cup) capacity metal loaf pan in the freezer. Place milk and cream in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Add lemon rind to cooked custard. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Step 2 - Use a balloon whisk to beat egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale, and a ribbon trail forms when the whisk is lifted. This traps air into the mixture, giving the ice-cream a light texture. Whisk in the cream mixture.
- Step 3 - Pour into a clean saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a flat-edged wooden spoon, for 20 minutes or until custard coats the back of the spoon and leaves a trail when you run your finger through it.
- Step 4 - Transfer the mixture to a medium heatproof bowl. Cover the surface of the custard with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
- Step 5 - Pour the custard into the chilled loaf pan. Cover with foil and place in the freezer for 6 hours or until it's almost set. Use a metal spoon to roughly break up the ice-cream. Transfer the ice-cream to a large bowl.
- Step 6 - Use an electric beater to beat for 3 minutes or until smooth and pale. This breaks up the ice crystals and gives the ice-cream a smooth texture. After beating the half-frozen ice-cream, stir in meringues, halved. Pour half the ice-cream mixture into loaf pan then spoon half of Lemon Curd on top. Use a knife to swirl.
- Step 7 - Repeat with remaining ice-cream and lemon curd. Cover with foil and freeze for 4 hours or until firm.