- 600g diced lean lamb
- 1/2 cup balti curry paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium brown onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups doongara rice
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 100g baby spinach
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds, toasted
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves
- plain yoghurt, to serve
- Step 1 - Combine lamb and curry paste in a bowl. Toss lamb to coat. Set aside. Heat half the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onions, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove to a plate.
- Step 2 - Add remaining oil to pan. Cook lamb mixture, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Return half the onions to pan. Add rice, tomatoes and 1 1/2 cups hot water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
- Step 3 - Stir in spinach and half the almonds. Cook for 2 minutes or until spinach is just wilted. Top biriyani with remaining onion, almonds, chilli and coriander. Serve with yoghurt.