Karaage chicken (Fried chicken)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sushi seasoning
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 500g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 130g (1 cup) cornflour
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Step 1 - Combine the soy sauce, sushi seasoning and ginger in a glass or ceramic dish. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour to marinate.
- Step 2 - Drain the chicken from the marinade and pat dry. Add oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of 5cm. Heat to 170°C over medium-high heat (when the oil is ready, a cube of bread turns golden in 20 seconds). Place combined flour on a plate. Add one-third of the chicken and toss to coat. Shake off any excess. Cook, turning halfway through cooking, for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through. Use tongs to transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining chicken and flour mixture, reheating the oil between batches. Transfer to a serving platter.