Haloumi and zucchini fritters with avocado salsa
- 1 avocado, halved, stone removed, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 (about 450g) green zucchini, ends trimmed, coarsely grated
- 180g haloumi, coarsely grated
- 55g (1/3 cup) wholemeal plain flour
- 2 egg whites, lightly whisked
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- Step 1 - Place the avocado, onion, coriander and lemon juice in a small bowl and gently toss to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 2 - Place the zucchini in a clean tea towel and use your hands to squeeze out any excess liquid. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add the haloumi, flour and egg white, and stir until well combined. Season with pepper.
- Step 3 - Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Spoon three 40ml (2-tablespoonsful) portions of batter into the pan. Use the back of a spoon to flatten slightly. Cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer fritters to a plate lined with paper towel and cover with a tea towel to keep warm. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with the remaining batter, reheating pan between batches.
- Step 4 - Divide fritters among serving plates. Spoon over the avocado salsa and serve immediately.