Ginger poached chicken salad
- 2 x 200g chicken breasts
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 10cm piece ginger
- 4 stalks celery
- 2 eschalots
- 200g snow peas
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- 2 tbs Chinese black vinegar (see note)
- 2 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 mignonette lettuce (see note)
- Step 1: Place chicken and stock in a saucepan. Thinly slice 5cm from ginger, add to pan, then bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to low–medium, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and cool slightly. Discard stock.
- Step 2: Meanwhile, cut remaining ginger into julienne (matchsticks), then thinly slice celery and eschalots. Place in a large bowl.
- Step 3: Bring a kettle of water to the boil. Thinly slice snow peas lengthwise and place in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and stand for 1 minute. Drain, refresh under cold water, then drain again. Add to celery mixture.
- Step 4: Place sesame seeds in a small frying pan and cook, tossing, over medium heat for 2 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
- Step 5: Using 2 forks, roughly shred chicken, then add to celery mixture. Pick coriander leaves and add to bowl.
- Step 6: Place vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar in a small bowl and whisk until sugar dissolves. Drizzle dressing over chicken mixture and gently toss to combine.
- Step 7: Separate lettuce leaves, discarding outer leaves. Divide among plates, then spoon over chicken mixture. Scatter over sesame seeds to serve.