Ginger creme brulee
- 330ml (1 1/3 cups) thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split, seeds separated
- 3 egg yolks
- 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 140°C. Place the cream, ginger, and vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the mixture comes to a simmer (do not boil). Set aside for 5 minutes to infuse.
- Step 2 - Whisk the egg yolks and 1/4 cup of sugar in a large bowl until pale and well combined. Remove vanilla bean from the cream mixture and discard. Whisk cream mixture into egg mixture until combined. Strain through a sieve into a heatproof jug. Discard ginger.
- Step 3 - Line the base of a roasting pan with a tea towel, folded to fit. Place eight 60ml (1/4-cup) capacity ovenproof ramekins in pan. Divide cream mixture among ramekins. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of ramekins. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until almost set. Remove ramekins from pan. Set aside for 2 hours to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight to chill.
- Step 4 - Preheat grill on high. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the tops of the custards. Place the ramekins in a heatproof dish and surround with ice cubes. Cook under grill for 2 minutes or until the sugar melts and caramelises.