Fruit and nut ice-cream bar with toffee cream
- 55g (1/3 cup) hazelnuts, cut in half
- 25g (1/4 cup) flaked almonds
- 80g dried peaches, chopped
- 60g dried whole dessert figs, chopped
- 55g (1/4 cup) pistachio kernels
- 1L container Connoisseur Super Premium Classic Vanilla ice-cream
- 115g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 x 300ml carton thin cream
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180°C. Line an 11 x 21cm (base measurement) loaf pan with 2 layers of plastic wrap, allowing it to overhang.
- Step 2 - Spread the hazelnuts and almonds over a baking tray and cook in preheated oven for 3-4 minutes or until light golden. Place the hazelnuts in a tea towel and rub to remove the skin. Transfer the hazelnuts and almonds to a medium bowl. Add the peaches, figs and pistachio kernels, and stir until well combined.
- Step 3 - Sprinkle the fruit and nut mixture over the base of the prepared pan. Spoon the ice-cream over the nut mixture and use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface. Cover with a double layer of plastic wrap and place in freezer for 6 hours or overnight until firm.
- Step 4 - To make the toffee cream, place the sugar in a medium frying pan over low heat and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until it turns golden brown. Remove pan from heat and gradually stir in the cream (the toffee will harden). Place pan over low heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until toffee dissolves and sauce is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Step 5 - Turn ice-cream onto a serving platter. Remove plastic wrap and cut into 2.5cm-thick slices. Serve immediately with the toffee cream.