Dutch spice cake
- 1 2/3 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 100g butter, melted, cooled
- 100g walnuts, roughly chopped
- Whipped cream and honey, to serve
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 20cm x 30cm lamington pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing 2cm overhang on all sides.
- Step 2 - Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, salt and nutmeg into a large bowl. Stir in sugar. Make a well in centre. Add milk and butter. Using a wooden spoon, stir until smooth. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth top. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Step 3 - Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn, top side up, onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with cream and honey.