Duck with apple cider red cabbage
- 50g butter
- 1 red apple, cored, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 (about 800g) duck breast fillets
- 1/2 red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup (250ml) sparkling apple cider
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (55g) toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180°C. Melt half the butter in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the apple and sprinkle with sugar. Cook, turning occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until apple caramelises. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Step 2 - Reduce heat to medium-high. Season both sides of each duck breast well with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden brown. Remove from heat and transfer to an oven tray. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Remove from oven and set aside, covered, for 10 minutes to rest.
- Step 3 - Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a large frying pan over high heat until foaming. Add the cabbage and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until cabbage begins to wilt. Add the cider and chicken stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender and liquid evaporates. Add the walnuts and caraway seeds and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Add the chives and toss to combine.
- Step 4 - Place the cabbage and apples on serving plates. Thickly slice the duck and arrange on top of the cabbage. Drizzle with pan juices to serve.