Deep-fried ice cream
- 1 qty vanilla-bean ice cream (see related recipe)
- 250g digestive biscuits
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- sunflower oil
- icing sugar and maple syrup, to serve
- Step 1 - Working quickly, scoop ice cream (see related recipe) into 6 round balls and place on a paper-lined tray in the freezer. Freeze for about 2 hours until very firm. Crush a pack of biscuits to fine crumbs and place in a shallow bowl. Again working quickly, roll frozen balls in crumbs to coat, then freeze for 1 hour. Lightly beat eggs with milk in another bowl. Again working quickly, coat each ball first in egg mixture, shaking off excess, followed by a second coat of crumbs. Return balls to freezer for another 1 hour.
- Step 2 - Half-fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan with sunflower oil and heat to 190°C. (If you don't have a deep-fryer thermometer, a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when oil is hot enough.) In 2 batches, fry ice cream balls for 10-15 seconds until golden.
- Step 3 - Remove with a slotted spoon, drain briefly on paper towel, then serve immediately dusted with icing sugar and drizzled with maple syrup.