Cranberry-glazed lamb shanks
- 4 (about 2kg) lamb shanks
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 275g jar cranberry sauce (Ocean Spray brand)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) dry red wine
- 2 tbs wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbs fresh rosemary leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 20g butter
- 2 bunches English spinach, trimmed, leaves washed and dried
- 60ml (1/4 cup) thin cream
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 150°C. Place lamb shanks in a roasting pan and season with salt and pepper. Combine cranberry sauce, red wine, mustard, rosemary and 2 garlic cloves in a bowl. Pour over lamb shanks and cover with foil. Bake in oven, turning occasionally, for 2 1/2 hours or until lamb is tender. Remove from oven.
- Step 2: Increase oven to 220°C. Pour pan juices into a saucepan. Return lamb to oven and cook, uncovered, turning once, for 15 minutes or until browned.
- Step 3: Meanwhile, place saucepan of pan juices over high heat and bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Step 4: Heat butter in a large frying pan over high heat until foaming. Add remaining garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add spinach and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until just wilted. Add cream and bring to the boil. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Divide spinach among plates, top with lamb shanks and drizzle with sauce.