Coffee meringue kisses
- 1 egg white
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 45g (1/4 cup) icing sugar mixture
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur (such as Kahlua)
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Use an electric beater to beat the egg white in a clean, dry bowl until firm peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking well after each addition, until the mixture is thick and glossy. Fold in the cocoa powder.
- Step 2 - Spoon the meringue mixture into a piping bag fitted with a round 1.5cm-diameter nozzle. Pipe 2cm-round meringues, about 2cm apart, on to the lined trays. Bake in oven for 30 minutes until crisp. Turn oven off. Leave meringues in the oven, with door ajar, for 1 hour to cool completely.
- Step 3 - To make the coffee cream: use an electric beater to beat the butter, icing sugar and coffee liqueur in a medium bowl until pale and creamy.
- Step 4 - Spread the base of 1 meringue with coffee cream and sandwich with another meringue. Repeat with the remaining meringues and coffee cream. Serve with coffee.