Chocolate and orange bread and butter pudding
- 2 x 225g pkts Butter Croissants
- 50g butter, at room temperature
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pouring cream
- 150g milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- Thickened cream, to serve
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180°C. Split the croissants in half horizontally. Spread cut sides of the croissants with butter. Arrange the croissant, cut-side up and overlapping slightly, over the base of a 1.5L (6-cup) capacity ovenproof dish.
- Step 2 - Place the cream in a saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat. Add half the chocolate. Set aside for 2-3 minutes or until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Stir until combined. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Step 3 - Whisk the eggs, sugar, milk and orange rind in a heatproof bowl until well combined. Add the chocolate mixture, whisking constantly, until combined. Pour over the croissant and set aside for 10 minutes to develop the flavours. Top with the remaining chocolate. Place the dish on a baking tray and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the custard is just set. Serve with cream.