Chocolate and amaretti pavlova with peaches
- 250g mascarpone
- 180ml (3/4 cup) thickened cream
- 2 1/2 tbs honey
- 6 peaches, cut into wedges
- 2 tsp vino cotto (see note)
Chocolate & Amaretti pavlova
- 8 egg whites
- 275g (1 1/4 cups) caster sugar
- 25g (1/4 cup) Dutch cocoa, (see note) sifted
- 8 amaretti biscuits, (see note) crushed
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180C. To make the pavlova, grease and line the base and side of a 26cm springform pan. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites with 1/2 tsp salt to stiff peaks, then gradually add caster sugar, 1 tbs at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk until glossy and stiff enough that if you hold the bowl upside-down, the meringue won’t fall out. Add cocoa and, whisking on low speed, whisk until just combined (don’t knock out too much air).
- Step 2 - Spoon meringue into pan, level and scatter with half the biscuits. Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce oven to 120C and bake for a further 1 hour 10 minutes or until firm to the touch and no longer sticky. Turn off oven and leave pavlova in oven with the door held ajar with a wooden spoon for at least 2 hours to cool completely.
- Step 3 - To make mascarpone cream, using an electric mixer, whisk mascarpone with cream and 2 tbs honey to firm peaks.
- Step 4 - Toss peaches with remaining 1/2 tbs honey and vino cotto.
- Step 5 - To assemble, spoon the mascarpone cream over the pavlova, leaving a 2cm border. Top with the peach mixture and scatter with remaining amaretti biscuits to serve.