Caponata with pine nuts
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 2cm pieces
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 350ml Campbell's Real Stock Vegetable
- 1/4 cup (50g) salted capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup pitted green or kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup (60ml) red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (40g) sultanas
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar or more to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
- 1/4 cup (40g) pine nuts, toasted
- Chargrilled slices of bread, to serve
- Step 1 - Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large frypan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes until softened slightly. Add remaining oil and the eggplant and cook for 5-8 minutes, tossing constantly, until the eggplant is glossy, not dry.
- Step 2 - Add the capsicum, tomatoes, garlic and stock and cook for 15-18 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture just starts to break down.
- Step 3 - Add the capers, olives, vinegar, sultanas, orange zest, sugar and some sea salt and pepper, then simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the caponata is thick and stewy.
- Step 4 - Stir through the herbs and pine nuts and serve hot, warm or at room temperature with chargrilled bread.