Basa fish cakes
- 500g basa fillets
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Coles Mayonnaise
- 1 Coles Brand Free Range Egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Coles Brand Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Coles Brand Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 cup Smart Buy Dried Breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon Coles Brand Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 large field tomato, cored and cut into thick slices
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, ends removed, cut in half lengthways, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 80 grams 4 leaf lettuce mix
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan-forced.
- Step 2 - Place basa fillets on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with half the lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and cook in oven for 10-12 mins, until opaque and just cooked through, depending on the thickness of the fillet. Remove from oven and cool.
- Step 3 - In a large bowl, combine red onion, coriander, mayonnaise, egg, remaining lemon zest, lemon juice, paprika and cayenne pepper. Mix until well combined. Break basa fillets into large flakes and add to bowl. Add breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper. Mix gently until well combined.
- Step 4 - Roll mixture into 8 balls, press into 1 1/2 cm-thick patties and place on a tray lined with baking paper. Cover and chill for at least 1 hr.
- Step 5 - Heat enough oil to come up to 3mm in a large, heavy-based frying pan over high heat. Working in 2 batches, fry fish cakes for 4 mins on each side, or until browned. Drain on paper towels and keep covered with foil while cooking the second batch.
- Step 6 - For the salad, gently toss all ingredients in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Serve salad with the fish cakes.