Banana and date pudding with butterscotch sauce
- 100g whole hazelnuts
- 20g butter, softened
- 1 cup (150g) coarsely chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) boiling water
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 3/4 cup (155g) brown sugar
- 60g butter, softened, extra
- 1 1/4 cups (190g) self-raising flour
- Double cream or ice-cream, to serve
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- 300ml thickened cream
- 100g butter, chopped
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180°C. Spread the hazelnuts over an oven tray. Roast in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Place hazelnuts in a clean tea towel and rub to remove the skins. Coarsely chop.
- Step 2 - Line the base of a 20cm round (base measurement) springform pan with baking paper. Rub the butter over the base and side of the pan. Sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts.
- Step 3 - Place dates and bicarbonate of soda in a heatproof bowl. Pour over the boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes to soak. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor. Add the banana, sugar, extra butter and flour and process until almost smooth. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Step 4 - Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Step 5 - Meanwhile, to make the butterscotch sauce, combine the sugar, cream and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until butter melts and mixture is well combined and heated through.
- Step 6 - Pour half the sauce over the pudding. Cut into wedges, drizzle with remaining sauce. Serve immediately with cream or ice-cream, if desired.