Baked falafel with roasted eggplant salad
- 165g (3/4 cup) dried chickpeas
- 1 small brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup firmly packed fresh continental parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup firmly packed fresh coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large (about 350g) eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 3 ripe egg tomatoes, each tomato cut into 6 wedges
- Olive oil spray
- 1 bunch rocket, ends trimmed, washed, dried, leaves torn
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- 130g (1/2 cup) reduced-fat natural yoghurt (Vaalia brand)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1 - Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside overnight to soak. Drain well.
- Step 2 - Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the chickpeas, brown onion, garlic, parsley, fresh coriander, lemon rind and juice, ground coriander, cumin and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor and process, scraping down the side of the bowl regularly, until smooth. Set aside for 30 minutes to develop flavours.
- Step 3 - Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Place the eggplant and tomato on separate trays. Spray the eggplant and tomato lightly with olive oil spray. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 220°C.
- Step 4 - Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Divide chickpea mixture into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball and flatten slightly. Place on the prepared tray and lightly spray with olive oil spray. Bake in oven, turning halfway through cooking, for 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Step 5 - Place the rocket, red onion, mint, sumac, roasted eggplant and roasted tomato in a large bowl and gently toss to combine. Divide salad among shallow serving bowls. Top with the baked falafel and a dollop of yoghurt. Season with pepper and serve immediately.