Baked caramel custards
- Melted butter, to grease
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- 125ml (1/2 cup) no-fat milk (Dairy Farmers Shape brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 220°C. Brush four round 8cm (base measurement) 150ml-capacity ovenproof ramekins with melted butter to lightly grease. Place ramekins in a roasting pan.
- Step 2 - Combine the egg, cream, milk, vanilla essence and 55g (1/4 cup) of the sugar in a jug.
- Step 3 - Place the remaining sugar in a medium heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring with a metal spoon, for 3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and starts to caramelise. Add enough boiling water to the roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Pour the hot caramel evenly among ramekins.
- Step 4 - Pour the milk mixture evenly among ramekins. Cover each ramekin with foil. Cook in preheated oven for 12 minutes. Uncover ramekins and cook for a further 5 minutes or until custard sets. Remove from oven. Carefully turn the baked caramel custards into shallow bowls and serve immediately.