Apple and Date Crumble
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 8 fresh dates, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (25g) shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
- 80g butter, softened
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the apple in a large saucepan and sprinkle with caster sugar. Place over low heat and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until apple is tender. Remove from heat and add the dates. Stir to combine. Transfer mixture to a 4-cup (1 litre) capacity ovenproof dish.
- Step 2 - Combine the oats, flour, coconut and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Spoon over the apple mixture. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Serve with vanilla ice-cream, if desired.