Apple and custard crumble
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 800g can pie apple
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 100g butter, softened
- Double thick cream, to serve
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine milk and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Step 2 - Meanwhile, whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons custard powder, 2 tablespoons caster sugar and 2 tablespoons cold water in a heatproof bowl until smooth. Whisking constantly, pour in hot milk mixture in a thin stream. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Step 3 - Cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat until custard comes to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Stir for 3 minutes or until reduced slightly (this cooks out the raw custard powder flavour).
- Step 4 - Spoon apple into six 1-cup capacity dishes or one 6-cup capacity baking dish. Pour over warm custard.
- Step 5 - Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, remaining custard powder and sugar in a bowl. Stir to combine. Add butter.Using your fingertips, rub into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Scatter crumble over custard. Place on a baking tray bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Serve warm with cream.