- Vegetable oil, to brush
- 12 large green or red apples, or 36 baby apples
- 880g (4 cups) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- A few drops red food colouring
- Cellophane, ribbon and labels, to decorate
- Step 1 - Line a baking tray with aluminium foil, then brush with oil.
- Step 2 - Wash and dry the apples and push a thick wooden stick into the stem of each apple. Combine the sugar, vinegar and 500ml (2 cups) water in a saucepan over low heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Increase heat to medium, then stir in food colouring and cook for about 15-20 minutes until mixture looks like runny honey.
- Step 3 - Remove from heat, then, holding the stick, carefully dip each apple into hot syrup and place on lined tray.
- Step 4 - Set aside to cool. When completely set, wrap in cellophane, tie with ribbon and label.