Nectarine upside-down cake
- 150g butter, plus 50g extra, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup caster sugar, plus 1/4 cup extra
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 6 nectarines, peeled, halved, stone removed
- 3 eggs
- Thickened cream or ice cream, to serve
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan. Grease a 20cm-round cake pan with half (25g) of the extra butter. Line base of pan with baking paper and grease paper with remaining extra butter. Add extra sugar to pan and shake to coat sides and base. Arrange nectarine halves over base of pan.
- Step 2 - Using electric beaters, mix butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in flour and combined milk and vanilla, beginning and ending with flour. Spread batter over nectarines, smoothing top with a spatula.
- Step 3 - Bake for 40-45 mins until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 mins before inverting onto a serving plate.
- Step 4 - Serve cake with a dollop of thickened cream or ice cream.