- 150g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp lemon rind, finely grated, plus extra zest, to serve
- 80ml (1/3 cup) lemon juice
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 115g (3/4 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- Icing sugar mixture, to serve
- Double cream, to serve
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease six 250ml (1 cup) ovenproof dishes or teacups.
- Step 2 - Place the butter, lemon rind, lemon juice, sugar, flour, milk and egg yolks in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Step 3 - Use electric beaters to beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form. Use a metal spoon to fold one-quarter of the egg white into the lemon mixture. Gently fold in the remaining egg white.
- Step 4 - Spoon mixture into prepared dishes and place in a large baking dish. Pour enough boiling water into baking dish to come halfway up the sides of the smaller dishes. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and just set. Dust with icing sugar, top with cream and sprinkle with extra zest.