- 6 navel oranges, peeled, white pith removed, thinly sliced
- 2 whole star anise
- 430g (2 cups) caster sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- Step 1 - Place the orange, in a single layer, in 2 large heatproof dishes. Add a star anise to each dish.
- Step 2 - Place sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar dissolves. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, gently brush down the sides of the pan to remove any sugar crystals. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 15-20 minutes or until the caramel thickens and is golden.
- Step 3 - Pour the caramel over the oranges. Set aside for 1 hour to infuse. Divide the caramel oranges among serving bowls to serve.