Apple and date cake with maple tahini glaze
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, cut into 1cm pieces
- 200g fresh dates, pitted, quartered
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 125ml (1/2 cup) boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 80ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 80ml (1/3 cup) buttermilk
- 240g (1 1/2 cups) wholemeal spelt flour
- 60g (1/3 cup) coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 80ml (1/3 cup) melted coconut oil
MAPLE TAHINI GLAZE
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hulled tahini
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons water
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease base and side of a 22cm springform cake pan and line with baking paper. Combine the apple, dates and bicarb in a large bowl. Pour over boiling water. Set aside, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes to cool and soften.
- Step 2 - Whisk the eggs, syrup and buttermilk in a jug. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add egg mixture and oil. Stir until just starting to come together. Stir in the apple mixture until combined. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 3 - Meanwhile, for the tahini glaze place the tahini, syrup and cinnamon in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. Add water and whisk until the mixture is smooth and syrupy.
- Step 4 - Drizzle cake with tahini glaze and serve immediately.