Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad – an Autumn Delight!
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped Shallots
- 1 finely grated Garlic clove (small)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- 2 bunches Kale (stem discarded then leaves thinly sliced)
- 350g (12 ounces) Brussels Sprouts trimmed and finely shredded
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil (extra-virgin)
- 1/3 cup chopped Raw Almonds
- 1 cup finely grated Pecorino Cheese
- Add together in a small bowl, the lemon juice, mustard, garlic, shallots, salt, and a pinch of pepper Stir to blend then set aside. Combine thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
- Measure out 1/2 cup olive oil into a cup. Add 1 tablespoon of oil from the cup to a skillet over med-high heat. Add in the almonds and stir frequently until golden brown (2 mins) then remove nuts to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Whisk remaining olive oil into the lemon-juice mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Note that the dressing, kale mix, and toasted almonds can be prepared 8 hours ahead of time. Cover dressing and Kale & Brussels Sprouts mix separately and chill. Cover almonds and let stand at room temperature.
- Add both the dressing and cheese to Kale & Brussels Sprouts mixture. Toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with Almonds.